“Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous.” (Joshua 1:9)
It’s Praise the Lord Sunday! One way we can praise God is to uphold our Christian values and let our lives be a testimony of our faith.
There appears to be a decline in values in modern society. It leaves Christians to pondering “how did we get here and how can we improve the downward spiral of what is considered acceptable behavior.” While things do seem bad, history shows us that there have always been bad people and people with bad values. The bigger question is how can we make positive changes for the future? There are some things we can do and should do.
- Always put God first. Take time to read and study God’s word. Spend time in prayer daily. Ask for guidance and help. Read books and study guides by Christian authors. Memorize Bible verses. Set aside a time at least once throughout the day for God, but talk to him all day. Listen to praise music and hymns.
- Be thankful. Thank God every day. Every morning make a mental list of things for which you are thankful. I usually say them out loud as I go and thank God. You can write them down in your journal if you like.
- Live by example. This the best way to show others that there is a better way of life. Remember there is always someone watching.
- Always wear a smile and be happy. Of course, we all have bad days and no one is perfect, but being happy and having a positive attitude makes people wonder what’s up.
- Be a giving person. Being a giver doesn’t necessarily mean giving monetary gifts or spending money. Give compliments, hugs, notes, and other caring surprises. You never know what others are going through and how a small act of kindness can help.
- Be a forgiver. Try to forgive others as quickly as you can and pray for them. Don’t let pain make you bitter. Also forgive yourself and keep moving forward. No one is perfect. Repent and ask for forgiveness.
- Be a teacher. Always share what you know with others and teach children and younger generations. Children also learn by example through simple actions. My two year old grandson reaches out automatically to hold hands at the table when grace is said.
- Show love in everything you do and say. Remember the golden rule, and go beyond.
- Pray for others. I keep a prayer journal. It is nice to reflect on all God’s miracles.
- Share God’s miracles you have witnessed. I have many stories. I imagine you do to.
- Keep a Study Journal. Sometimes I need to go back and look at my notes so I can share with others. I also like to write down situations that have happened and how God has worked out the rough edges of life.
I’m sure there must be many more things we can do, but this is a good start. I look forward to reading your ideas. I hope you will join me in making a difference. God bless you.