See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.
1 Thessalonians 5:15
Happy Friday! What does Friday mean to you? For me Friday is a time for wrapping up unfinished business and looking forward to relaxation and fun. Remember, when we can incorporate giving into our day, everything is enhanced.
Have you ever had someone mistreat you repeatedly? Did you find it hard to turn the other cheek? Were you tempted to just “show them”? The Apostle Paul teaches in 1 Thessalonians 5:15 that we should avoid doing evil when we are treated with evil. Instead, we are to treat all people good. So, if you have a tendency to lash out, what can you do? Here are a few suggestions to carry around with you for those special moments.
- Take a deep breath and slowly count to fifty, while smiling.
- Walk away.
- Don’t engage in bad behavior. Instead, imagine how good you will feel standing next to God on judgement day.
- Think of something you can do to help someone and get your mind off what’s happening at that moment.
- Take a walk outside and enjoy God’s work.
- Be nice to the person, but break the habit of approaching this person in the same places or circumstances where you have been hurt previously.
- Do something nice for the person. You never know what’s going on in their life.
There are so many things you can say and do that I couldn’t possibly list them all. Advanced planning helps with forming new behaviors. The good news is you will be a better person. The best news is others will learn from your behavior, like your children, staff, coworkers, friends, and acquaintances. So, you can change the world one conflict at a time! Isn’t that great!
I challenge you to change the world by showing kindness to everyone. God bless you.